> Can one put CS in with our Beta? We've had it for 8 months!

Marsha's practice of putting CS in with water changes in her betta's 1
gallon tank seems worthwhile. The only caution I have relates to the
type of filter system you have in your tank...

If it's just a good sized jar with an air bubbler, some marbles or
large gravel and a few plastic plants, then you'll need to do a partial
water change at least weekly to get rid of the ammonia and other toxins
that will build up from uneaten food and fish waste.

Under these circumstances, regular CS administration *probably* won't
hurt and may help.

IF, however, you've got an under gravel filter, or an external filter
of the type that is supposed to build up a bacterial population to act
as a "biological filter", then there's a good chance your CS will kill
the good bacteria and, quite likely, dangerously stress your fish!

If you're using more natural substrates -- clay, sand, small gravel --
and real plants, there's a good chance they're host to a significant
bacterial colony the death of which will foul the tank, also.

You can always set up a good sized quarantine tank to treat a sick
individual fish separately from your established tank. Just be sure
it's big enough and that you carefully control conditions in it so the
fish doesn't suffer too much stress.

Be well,

Mike D.