Morning Marshall,

> Ok, I made CG now for the first time. I have 2 neon transformer
> primary coils in parallel, secondary (high voltage) in series.
> This will burn up one or both transformers within a day or two.
> Already made that mistake myself when I first started working with
> them.  The secondary is center tapped and attached to the case, which
> suppose to be grounded.  Thus 1/2 of each winding will be totally
> shorted out.

Will all of the high voltage transformers have a center tap that is grounded in the manner you describe?

Looks like it would short out much quicker than a few days. A short is bad design in any case.

If proper safety precautions were taken, could the system not be run ungrounded? Possibly the internal design of the transformer uses the ground and the frame to function with flux lines, ect.

Magnetism and flux lines, and all the internal happening within transformers is something that few of us master or understand.

My thoughts are that many devices, including the transformers are a "compromise in design". A perfectly designed and built transformer would cost many times what the market is willing to bear.

In picking up bits and pieces of this task, it now appears that a transformer designed and built just for this application would be in order.

Has anyone tried connecting the output from one transformer into the input of another one? If the transformer materials can stand it, this would be one way to gain some voltage from simpler transformers.

Just called an electrical contractor friend. He has a number of these transformers he had collected over a few years. He only carried them to the dump a month or so ago. So.... I have to check some more sources. One he said, output
20,000 volts.

Wayne

To join or quit silver-list or silver-digest send an e-mail message to: silver-list-requ...@eskimo.com -or- silver-digest-requ...@eskimo.com