Hi Paul,

There is not as big a difference as the various manufacturers would
have you believe. BG can be and is made from various raw products,
mushrooms (maitake, shitake), oats, yeast (bakers, brewers), and so
on, each has its proponents and detractors. But as long as the Beta
1,3 Glucan fraction is 60% or so then the product will be good. Other
fractions are found in different concentrations depending on the
source, yeast has Beta 1,6 Glucan for instance. Yeast derived Beta
Glucan is the easiest to produce and has the highest Beta 1,3 fraction
and can be found purified to greater than 90%, although it seems that
products with lesser purity can actually promote a greater immune
expression. I am happy with 70+ % Beta 1,3 Glucan. A product produced
from yeast is probably the best bet for a decent BG content and a
reasonable price.
Some products may elicit a slighter higher response by being
micronised to a very small size (0.2 micron), and some is soluble and
suitable for IV injection (but is expensive). Fortunately both the
soluble and particulate Beta Glucan is absorbed in the gut. Best taken
on an empty stomach 30 mins before food and the action is enhanced by
Vitamin C.

The immune response to Beta Glucan seems to be a vestige of cellular
development, given that both animals and plants display an immune
response to its presence. It has uses as an additive to animal and
fish feed, (not to be confused with the bacterial derived Beta Glucan
which is inert as used as a food filler) and is proved for instance to
prevent to a high percentage of infection in farmed fish. Must be good
for pets and maybe the roses.

As for brands... because I buy in bulk (kgs) I can't really help you,
but hopefully you now have enough info to make a decision.

Email me if you need more help.

Ivan