Paula:

I agree with your desire to share accurate information, so perhaps we can come
up with a technically accurate way to answer the question... Mine would be as
follows:

Is silver a heavy metal?

Silver, medically, does not share the toxicology associated with what are
commonly described as heavy metals.  Legally, the definition of what is or is
not a heavy metal varies depending on which regulatory agency one queries.
According to SIGNA's medicare qualification documents, silver is not a heavy
metal.

The term heavy metal is not a scientific term, and there has never been
consensus on the meaning of this term in the scientific community.  By some
definitions, both Magnesium and Potassium are heavy metals.  Classification of
"heavy metal" has never been scientifically based on any actual quality
associated with any element, although many adaptations to the periodic table
have been attempted, including gram atomic weight and by the number on the
periodic table, both which have no real chemical significance-- not from a
biological standpoint, a chemical standpoint, or any other scientifically
demonstrable attribute including any medical significance.

Ref:
http://www.iupac.org/publications/pac/2002/pdf/7405x0793.pdf
http://www.cignamedicare.com/partb/lmrp/nc/cms_fu/2001-006.htm