List,

Some members will be interested in the following, from Butch Owen of Anatolian Treasures, r.e. oregano oil, which is almost certainly a good product to keep on hand next to one's silver generator. Here goes:

JBB

I'll point out the major differences in Origanums again .. below. Keep in mind that the Origanum dubium Linalool shares many of the therapeutic properties of Lavandula angustifolia and still contains a fair amount of Carvacrol. Carvacrol is a wondrous and very special chemical .. I have dozens and dozens of scientific studies on its effectiveness .. its perhaps the best researched EO in existence.

 - - - - - - - - - - - FACTS ON THE ORIGANUMS - - - - - - - - - -

All of the Origanums except the Origanum dubium Linalool Type are
carvacrol-rich and carvacrol is the active therapeutic component
people seek.  Higher carvacrol aromatic plants are more expensive
to purchase.  We have some plants that will produce oils with
carvacrol levels over 80%. This simply means you get more bang
for the buck when mixing it with olive oil or whatever.  You use
less oil to get the same results.

Origanum dubium (Linalool type) is in its own class .. a very nice
odor and dual therapeutic value.  It's high in linalool, as is
lavender, and high in carvacrol, as is oregano.  It has healing
properties of oregano and lavender .. so much so that the common
name in Turkey is Lavanta Kekik (Lavender Oregano.)  It's endemic
to Turkey - not found elsewhere and even here it's only found in
a very small corner of the Southeast.  When people get samples of
it from us, they buy it.  I normally use it for inhalation and it
is great for diffusion - I love the odor.

Origanum vulgare is the best seller.  Maybe people associate the
name and the fact that there is one company making some fairly
sound health claims and selling it as "Oil of Oregano" in a 10%
Oregano/90% Olive Oil mixture for as much as $29.95 per 2/3 ounce
bottle.  So people see mine as being less costly.  With mine, one
can mix their own and create a dozen bottles of the $29.95 product
for less than half the price.

Origanum onites has been the next best seller and that might be
due to some things I've written on it and a portion of the lecture I
gave at an AT Conference in Toronto, Canada in September 1999.  I
presented research conducted by five prominent professors in
Turkey using Origanum onites in a project involving lung tumors in rats,
using three different groups and three treatments, one of them being
normal cancer treatments. I presented the study, showed the audience
colored micro slides of the lung tissues.  The Origanum onites not
only stopped the growth but also caused recession of the growths!
The lung tissue was reverting to its previously normal pink and
clear state!!  I made it clear that this is not an indication that
it will cure cancer in humans but it shows a great need for
further research and such research is ongoing.

Origanum dubium is the next best seller, possibly because it
appears to have a lighter odor than the others.   Turks generally
prefer it for home medication.

I prefer Origanum vulgare, Origanum onites and Origanum dubium for
kicking Big Bad Bug Butts but I do not make recommendations to others
on ingestion of essential oils. I recommend buyers consult their doctor
prior to this manner of usage.

So - one can choose based on the above descriptions of each oil.
For colds and flu, I use the onites, vulgare or dubium.   For
diffusion any one will do the job but just for inhalation, I'd go
with the O. dubium (Linalool type) because I love the odor.  All
have proven antiseptic, antimicrobial, antifungal, anti-spasmodic
properties and they are believed to be capable of stimulating the
immune system