From: Marshall Dudley
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:45:20
http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m72818.html

  > I did not realize it the other day, but when I mixed  ammonia with
  > the silver oxide, I produced a high explosive,  fulminating silver
  > accoring to this.

  > Anyone repeating these experiments should pour the  fulminate down
  > the drain  while  wet, do not allow to dry! It is  a  contact high
  > explosive.

  > http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=red%20silver

  > Fulminating silver.  (Chem.)  (a) A  black  crystalline substance,
  > Ag2O.(NH3)2, obtained by dissolving silver oxide in  aqua ammonia.
  > When dry  it explodes violently on the  slightest  percussion. (b)
  > Silver fulminate,   a   white   crystalline  substance, Ag2C2N2O2,
  > obtained by  adding alcohol to a solution of silver  nitrate. When
  > dry it is violently explosive.

  > Marshall

  Whoopeee! Finaally we can have some fun experiments.

  Although I don't think a couple of micrograms of  fulminating silver
  would do much. Maybe make a very slight pop.

  In the quantities we work with, an ordinary household match  is much
  more dangerous:)

  Your report is slightly exaggerated, Marshall. Now you have gone and
  made a bunch of people who know nothing of technology  very nervous.
  I'd be more careful about generating false fears.

Best Wishes,

Mike Monett