politicians follow the money. the money buys votes.
the money comes from corporations, lobbying groups, developers, and anyone else
that will pay them.
they take that money and buy spin doctors and analysts to tell them
what to say to get elected in the demographics of their area.
what does the average person know about the complexity of issues,
running a goverment, democracy, history, etc.?
speaking for americans, the answer is NOTHING.
very few people come to vote with anything but a bias created by spin
doctors and the media.
so, the chlorine people have gotten inroads in the goverment and the goverment
wants to "follow the money". the money is largely centered on the USA.
canada wants to use graft and chemicals "the modern way".
don't forget to tell them about floridation.