It is commonly accepted that the silver that goes into
aqueous suspension/solution we call EIS comes from
the anode, i.e. the positively charged electrode.
To test this, I replaced the silver anode with a strip of
titanium and kept a silver Maple Leaf as the cathode
(the negatively charged electrode) and electrolyzed
at a current of around 100 microamperes for about
two and a half days. The electrodes were spaced about
3 inches apart.

The result was a definite cleaning action on the lower
half of the coin cathode (submerged) in comparison to
the upper half of the coin (unsubmerged.) The cleaning
action was most noticeable on the milled edging.
A tyndall effect also became noticeable, in comparison
to the distilled water not used in the electrolysis.
I don't think it was due to titanium coming off
the anode, since titanium metal is very difficult to
corrode even by electrolysis.

This doesn't make much sense if we assume that silver
must necessarily come off as positively charged particles.
It might make sense if we allow for silver to come off as
solid-state nanocrystals. After all, metallic silver conductors
can take a negative charge as well as a positive charge.

Has anybody noticed anything like this using other
non-silver inert metals like gold, platinum or stainless
steel being used  as the anode? Thanks in advance for
your input.

Best regards,

Matthew