Here's a link to an FDA report on the effectiveness of giving a lower  dose
of Interceptor for preventive. Safeheart dosage is 1/5 the dose amt. of
Interceptor and is effective against heartworms (though at the lower dose it is
 not
effective against hookworms, roundworms, etc...)   Safeheart is  not to my
knowledge marketed in the US, but you can use  Interceptor at the  Safeheart
dose.  For example, a 50lb. dog could be  given the 10lb. dose to prevent
heartworms. Unless a dog is also at constant  high risk of getting hookworms,
roundworms, and/or whipworms along with the  risk of heartworm, then it makes
no
sense to give 5 times the necessary  dose. Don't know if CS/EIS is capable of
killing the microfilaria in the  bloodstream, which is how heartworm is
'prevented', but it couldn't hurt. On the  other hand, black and green walnut
hulls can
be very toxic; personally I  wouldn't risk giving those over the 1/5
Interceptor.
Laura H., TX

_http://www.fda.gov/cvm/FOI/1365.htm_ (http://www.fda.gov/cvm/FOI/1365.htm)