Hi Edith:

Mind you, I didn't expect the garlic to work. And I don't believe it would have worked independently.

"Few plants have more legends than Garlic. A Mohammedan legend related
that "when Satan stepped out from the Garden of Eden after the fall of
man, Garlick sprang up from the spot where he placed his left foot, and
Onion from that where his right foot touched." In Europe, it was believed to be protection against the "evil eye" and to make witches and vampires disappear at its very sight. Racers who chewed a bit of garlic thought they could not be beaten. Hungarian jockeys attached a piece of garlic to their horse's bits to prevent the competition from winning. In Bram Stoker's Dracula, a doctor strewed the room with garlic and hung a necklace of garlic around a woman's throat in the belief that garlic would repel vampires. During the Dark Ages, people believed it could ward off the plague and wore garlands of it as protection. In fact, as recently as 1917 and 1918, Americans wore garlic garlands in public during influenza epidemics."

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/feb2001/981412302.Me.r.html

My long time interpretation of vampire mythology centers around the idea that all forms of vampirism represent parasitic manifestations.

If the skin parasites were repelled by garlic, then the NEW hatchlings would seek out a new home.

Kind Regards,

Jason