From: Wayne Fugitt [mailto:cwfug...@earthlink.net]
Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2006 5:09 AM
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: CS>Cayenne Tincture Methods

Thanks to Dan, Kasper,
     and Everyone of the ideas on Cayenne

>  Why is everyone so against a little alcohol?  A little
alcohol is good
>for you.  Cayenne tincture should be made with alcohol. You
can make it
>yourself with 80 proof vodka and cayenne or fresh (hot)
peppers.

    The Everclear I had in stock was 180 proof ( 85 % ). I
had to purchase
one more bottle, $ 15.00 per fifth.  All they had was 180
proof.

In July  a few friends picked all their excess peppers and
gave them to
me.   I placed them in a greenhouse in metal pans for about
10 days.   The
idea was they would grind or chop better if dry.

I chopped the complete batch.  They were still too moist and
sticky to
grind into a powder or very small particles.

I simply placed this into pint jars and covered with
Everclear.
The jars were about 65 to 70 % full so I covered with the
Everclear.

A few days later the pepper material had swollen up a bit so
I made another
pint jar for a total of 4.  About then I read something
about 50 % alcohol
so I added about 2 ounces of distilled water instead of more
Everclear.

I also read brew times that ranged from 15 days to 60 days.
More confusion.  I also talked to a few people that has made
the Tincture
and got different data.

I left the jars on the cabinet and did in fact shake them
several times per
day.

After near 30 days, I did not detect the strength I wanted.
At this time, I
added 1 heaping TBS of Cayenne Powder to each jar.

At a later date, about 45 days, I still did not detect the
strength of the
bought Tincture so I added another heaping TBS of Cayenne
powder.

The total time is approaching 60 days now.  The strength is
getting better.

In the absence of an instrumentation test, I add a specific
number of drops
to 4 ounces of water and compare the taste and heat to the
bought Tincture.

The taste of the tincture I am making is not as strong in
flavor as the
purchased Tincture, but the heat and bite is getting close.

I am thinking of straining and bottling one pint after 60
days and may
leave the other 3 pints another few weeks.

I still feel my alcohol per cent is a bit high even after
adding a few
ounces of distilled water.

I may have done a few things differently if we had this
thread two months ago.

The cost of the Health Food Store Tincture is about $ 120.00
per
gallon.  The cost of the home brew Tincture is about  $ 6.00
per pint,
mostly the cost of Everclear.

Any ideas, suggestions, or criticism are welcome.
Next time, I may use all cayenne powder.  It is very
reasonably priced.

Wayne

>   If
>fresh peppers, cut them up and put in blender container,
fill empty
>space with vodka and blend (just enough vodka to cover).
Put in a jar
>and shake up every day for a week or so and then strain.
You can do the
>same thing with the ground dried cayenne but you may need
to use a
>different gage for filling with alcohol (add vodka to cover
and go above
>the cayenne by one third of the volume for example, I mean
add more
>vodka).  Make it strong.  Just don't be drinking more than
a couple of
>droppers full at a time, or more than a shot...  ;-))
>
>One MD (David Williams) is recommending drinking one or two
cups of
>Irish coffee at the first sign of a heart attack...
>
>Richard Schulze (I think it was) recounts a story of an
herbalist
>throwing a pinch of cayenne in his own eye at the start of
a lecture to
>prove that cayenne wouldn't harm the eye.  It didn't.  With
this in mind
>and some experience using lesser doses of cayenne in an
eyewash I
>decided to test the theory.  I threw a large pinch of
cayenne into my
>eye.  I really wished I hadn't for about 20 minutes, it
really hurt.
>After that the eye was perfectly fine.
>
>Half vinegar and half alcohol is used to make a tincture of
lobelia.

>Dan

distilled
>vinegar (2% acetic acid). I use 180,000 HU. It has a
tendency to fall
>out of suspension and has to be shaken.
>Even with the low percentage acetic acid it doe not seem to
attract
>mold, but long term storage may be a problem.
>Tabasco Sauce uses vinegar and vinegar is extremely healthy
for you
>especially compared to alcohol. I have also made kombucha
mushroom tea
>using cayenne and comes out really spicy.
>
>Tabasco is hotter and tastier but it is a different pepper.
>Lots of peppers are hotter than cayenne - some over
1,000,000 HU, so
>IMO, I don't think Tabasco would work. I seem to know a lot
of folks who
>gobble down really hot peppers daily and they seem to have
the same
>problems as the rest of people who don't eat hot peppers so
cayenne must
>have special attributes otherwise Dr Christopher, Shultz,
and others
>would have used even hotter peppers or simply Tabasco
sauce.

>One thing I am leery of is the claim that cayenne
scan/should be used in
>the eyes. I trained police for years in the use of pepper
spray, as a
>matter of policy (and group
>pressure) I had to be pepper sprayed and it did knock me
down with for
>what I thought was a long recovery time.
>Police pepper spray is simply capsicum oil (cayenne pepper)
and water
>and pressure.  maybe I should practice up for the coming
events.

>In your opinion what would be the difference if one used
vinegar instead
>of alcohol ?
>
>Ed Kasper LAc. Licensed Acupuncturist & Herbalist Santa
Cruz, CA.

one says
>"neutral grain spirits (38%), distilled water."  the other
says
>"extracted with 95%grain alcohol and distilled water."  i
also keep the
>powder on hand to make a hot tea with, which after you get
used to it is
>pretty good.  i try to buy the freshest available and the
highest heat
>units.
>i would use the powder for any cut to stop bleeding and
would reach for
>any form of cayenne before i took nitro.
>julie
>
> > I was just wondering if you cayenne extract was an
alcohol based
> >extraction or what solvent was used,
>maybe
>vinegar?  any ideas?
>
>Ed Kasper LAc. Licensed Acupuncturist & Herbalist Santa
Cruz, CA.

>--
>The Silver List is a moderated forum for discussing
Colloidal Silver.