From: bs clayton [mailto:kl_clay...@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2006 10:58 AM
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: CS>definitions

When I was in school,  cations were the positively charged ions in a
rxn, anions were the negative.
Similarly, I thought the cathode was the plus side of the battery, the
anode the minus side.

So I looked it up in my World Book, and it says, and I quote,

"cathode, noun.
1. a negatively charged electrode. In an electrolytic cell or electron
tube, electrons flow from the cathode to the anode. The filament in most
vacuum tubes is a cathode.
2. the positive terminal of a battery or cell that sends out current.
The carbon electrode in a dry cell is the cathode. Also, kathode. "

This must mean the same thing, but since I am only now having my coffee,
it looks different.

To recap, the plus side is the cathode, the electrons stream out from
it, and the anode collects them back up, and is the minus side.

Is this right?  Kathryn

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
Access over 1 million songs.
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited