Hi Mark,

I like the idea of splx(splx(7)), but it might be good to make the level configurable. Currently, the lowest software interrupt used on NETBSD is level 8 for softclock, but conceivably another system (or a future version) might have an additional software interrupt level and make use of 7.

Regarding your last paragraph, there are actually (believe it or not) still job postings for people with VAX experience. Including various BSD's, not just VMS.

There is a surprising amount of application software out there that still runs on vaxes, but the cost of maintaining those machines must keep increasing. And there is more support available for NETBSD (which can run 4.3BSD a.out's) via the net or a company similar to Cygnus than there is for, say, "More/BSD", whose vendor disappeared years ago. Replacing a Vax running that system with a simulator running NETBSD may make sense to those with a large investment in applications that run on their vaxes.

Also, clicking on https://github.com/markpizz/simh/zipball/v3.9-0-rc1 unexpectedly downloaded a file named "markpizz-simh-v3.8-2-rc2-17-g15570e5.zip".

- michael