> On Jan 6, 2016, at 9:44 AM, Johnny Billquist <b...@softjar.se> wrote:

> As for transferring files to and from your RSTS/E system, you do know of
> KERMIT, right? Telnet into the RSTS/E system, start a kermit server there,
> switch back to your local kermit, and then send/receive files to your hearts
> content.
>
> Other options could be using a disk with the files on it, setting up tapes,
> but also, if simh supports it, possibly using the virtual DOS device, that
> other emulators have, as well as using DECnet.

I'm not sure what a DOS device is.

A couple of options:

1. DECnet.  NFT will use the DAP protocol to do file transfer; if you have a
compatible DAP implementation at the other end that would work.  DECnet/Linux
can do this, I believe.

2. Paper tape, as discussed here.

3. Magtape.  DOS format labels are very simple; ANSI isn't much harder.  For
extra credit, someone could write an implementation of VMS BACKUP -- RSTS can
read those tapes (with some restrictions) in V9.0 or later.

4. Disk.  Years ago I wrote a program "rstsflx" that can read and write RSTS
disk images.  It should still be around; if not I should build some new kits
and supply them to whoever can offer a place for them.

        paul