> On Jan 9, 2016, at 11:58 AM, Will Senn <will.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> Having very vague recollects of having ever seen a real VT100, I came across
> the following picture while doing some research on RT-11:
>
> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/RT-11_help.jpg
>
> I was surprised a little by the color of the text. In my minds eye, I had
> imagined either Amber or Green on black (the default on my Terminal windows).
> To my real eye, it looks blue. Given that the orange, manilla, and brown of
> the case look believable, it would seem that the VT100 had blue text. Is this
> correct and is it the only color of text on the machine? Does anyone know the
> hex RGB values?

That blue is definitely wrong.  Modern digital cameras, especially with the
automatic "color correction" active, can make a mess of the colors.

A VT100, just like the VT05 and VT50/VT52, used a plain black & white TV tube.
Those are very slightly blueish, probably, but not nearly to the extent
suggested by that photo.  If you can find an old B&W TV set, that will show you
exactly.

Later on, starting with the VT220, DEC offered several different monochrome
tubes: green, amber, the original white maybe, and also at some point "paper
white" which was a somewhat warmer white color.

The color specs of traditional B & W TV tubes should be available on the net,
at least in terms of a "color temperature" which will give much of the answer.

        paul