On 2016-04-20 22:35, Sampsa Laine wrote:

On 20 Apr 2016, at 23:25, Phil Budne <p...@ultimate.com> wrote:

Ken.Cornetet wrote:
I guess I need to shout this:
******* KERMIT DOES NOT WORK ON SIMH EMULATED RTE-6/VM ********

Why not?

Kermit does not exist (and probably couldn't feasibly exist) on any earlier
versions of RTE.

Again, why not?

Having just written a new shell for PDP-7 UNIX (because the original
could not be found), I can't imagine much other than a lack of
something resembling a serial console that would prevent _some_
version/subset of KERMIT (or something similar like X or ZMODEM) from
being cobbled together.

And since the connection can be assumed to be lossless, the protocol could be
really simple, e.g. something like this:

Actually, we should not assume the connection is lossless, so I would stick with Kermit.

(There are examples of overflowing the serial port, resulting in lost characters by simple buffer overruns.)

G=Guest, H=Host

Example of a write operation..

G:      WRITE-FILE
H:      ACK
// Now we send the file structure / word size etc
G:      FILE-META-DATA
G:      <file size and a bunch of OS specific stuff that is written to a second
file>
H:      ACK
G:      FILE-DATA
G:      <the actual data>
G:      ACK

Add checksums to the packets, and this is pretty much what Kermit is.

        Johnny

email: b...@softjar.se             ||  Reading murder books