Hi.

On 2016-09-06 18:55, Bob Supnik wrote:
The PDP8 simulator is more or less a PDP8/A, and its terminal
"multiplexor" is a KL8-JA, which implements four discrete KL8A style
interfaces. These are superset compatible with the PDP8/I's PT08
discrete interfaces, and thus TSS/8 will work. Note that TSS/8 supports
only four discrete terminal interfaces. To get more than four lines, the
configuration must have a DC08(A), a multiplexor for the PDP8/I. The
DC08(A) is not implemented at the moment.

This can't be correct.

The KL8JA is a single line interface, compatible with the KL8E, but using different hardware. You can add lots of KL8E or KL8JA interfaces to a PDP8, if you wanted to. Each have a different device code, and that's all there is to it. (Talking about the actual hardware here.) In addition, as far as I am aware, the programming of these interfaces are pretty much the same as the console interface on all other PDP-8 models as well.

The KL8A was a very late device for Omnibus, which require a hex wide box. It is a 4 line multiplexor, but the programming interface is nothing like the KL8JA or KL8E. In addition, not all lines are the same. And again, you can add several of these multiplexers to a machine, if you want to.

        Johnny

There was a significant evolution in the PDP8 family's IO controllers
from the original 8 and 8/I to the Omnibus-based 8/E and 8/A. The
original DECtape controller for the PDP8 was a single-cycle data break
device; the later TC01 and TC08 were three-cycle data break devices. The
original RK controller for the 8/I was very different from the later
RK8E. In general, peripherals unique to the 8 and 8/I, such as the
DC08(A), are not implemented.

/Bob