On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 15:29:10 -0600, Kevin Handy <khandy2...@gmail.com>
wrote:

How close are the simh emulators to the real hardware's floating point? How
> exct is the emulation of FPU's?
> Does simh emulate the real hardware close enough that you can use it to
> analyze the original hardware floating point processors? (For those that
> actually had FPUs instead of doing it in software).
> Or does it do it using "modern" methods (IEEE style FPUs) that could
> calculate different results than the original hardware did?

I can tell that the engineering ALU test passes in the BESM-6 emulator.

Addition and multiplication produce 80 bit of mantissa and had to be
emulated with integers; division produces 40 bit, but using IEEE double and
truncating or rounding the result causes the test to fail; I had to
implement the non-restoring division algorithm exactly as described in the
docs to make it work.

It;s probably not a big deal for most users, but if the simh FPU hardware
>  might operate any different;y than the real hardware it should at least be
> documented somewhere.

If other machines emulated by SIMH use IEEE for speed, it would be
interesting to run their engineering tests, if available, to see if there
are any failures.

Leo