TSV05 or the unibus versions.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A
-------- Original message --------From: Paul Koning <paulkon...@comcast.net>
Date: 3/17/17  11:23 AM  (GMT-07:00) To: Wilm Boerhout <wboerh...@gmail.com>
Cc: simh@trailing-edge.com Subject: Re: [Simh] VAX 8200

> On Mar 17, 2017, at 1:17 PM, Wilm Boerhout <wboerh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Gary Lee Phillips schreef op 17-3-2017 om 16:54:
>> Ethan Dicks <ethan.di...@gmail.com <mailto:ethan.di...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> >That's earlier than is possible... the model was introduced in Jan,
>> >1986.  Don't know date of first ship.
>>
>> Well I did say "around 1985 or so." After 30+ years, I'd say that was a
>> pretty close guess.
>>
>> The tape drive was not TK50. It was standard reel to reel media, horizontal
>> like an studio audio tape deck, with a cover that had to be lifted in order
>> to use it. The disk drive was housed in the same cabinet in a drawer below
>> the tape unit. The tape drive was "finicky" and seemed to work only with
>> tapes ordered through DEC. The standard tapes our much larger IBM shop used
>> never read back correctly when written on it.
> Could it have been a TS11, nicknamed "Tape Stretcher-11" by those (me
> included) who tried to use it with ever longer, reels of tape and thus ever
> thinner tape?

Probably not, because the TS11 was a vertical unit.  The top mounted horizontal
one is the TU80 and friends.  There was also a drive that had the tape loaded
from the front, horizontally (RK05 fashion), I forgot what that was called.  It
wasn't all that reliable since it had to do autoload, no manual threading
possible.

        paul