Do you have flow control (Xon/Xoff) enabled both on the terminal and on the VAX?

You might try a slower speed to see if that makes a difference.  It shouldn't,
but it might give more information.

Is autobaud enabled on the line?  You might turn that off and set the speed and
related parameters explicitly.

        paul