From: Simh [mailto:simh-boun...@trailing-edge.com] On Behalf Of Clem Cole
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2018 1:31 PM
To: Larry Baker <ba...@usgs.gov>; SIMH <simh@trailing-edge.com>
Subject: Re: [Simh] VAX Tape Emulation?

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 4:14 PM, Larry Baker
<ba...@usgs.gov<mailto:ba...@usgs.gov>> wrote:
Because UNIX tapes and tape drivers cannot write variable-length blocks and do
not allow skipping forward over records between read operations

​That's not a correct statement.   UNIX does it great - I've used it (and rmt)
for years.  UNIX's tape driver is the most flexible of any OS I have ever used
(and I have done tapes on probably greater than 25 different OS's over the last
40 years).  That's why I suggest it.  I wonder what the issue for VMS is?

Hmm.. thinking about it, TCP sockets will remove the record orientation (TCP
creates an stream of octets without any records), so if you are doing the funky
RMS like stuff, its TCP that dropping those boundaries not the UNIX tape
driver.   If you want same then it need to be set as meta-data.  But the UNIX
tape drive works as expected.   The 'block' size is the size of the write,
although I think the TM11 requires a minimum of 512 bytes.   Records passed
with the MTIO ioctl' which mt/rmt all support..

That said,  I agree if he can get DECnet to work, that is likely to better
integrated into the utilities.

Clem

​
[cid:~WRD161.jpg]ᐧ