Been a long time since I wrote fortran but IIRC the first character on the output line was to perform carriage-control of the LPT, so you'd have to always have a leading pad character such as a space in order to get the output lines to be correct. Some characters were reserved actions, 1 = FF from memory. I've not looked at the code involved but that'd be my first thoughts

HTH
Dave