TYPE( ... )  is just WRITE( 5, ...) , where 5 is the DEC LUN for TTY,
which is opened by default.

Conversion from format carriage control specifiers to device motion (for
TTYs, character such as CR, LF, FF, VT), is the responsibility of the
RTL (or device driver).  Typically, some OS device characteristic
identifies what happens; an interactive or print device converts to
device actions, while disks record the carriage control.  This can
sometimes be influenced by FORTRAN OPEN statement extensions.

RMS based systems handle the conversion in RMS by specifying the record
mode when a file is (RMS) opened.

'/' in a format is 'end of record'.

Similarly, ACCEPT is just READ(5)

There is no magic beyond what the OS reports to the RTL about the device.