You might be right. I've long ago mostly forgotten the nightmare that was
FORTRAN carriage control, and the FORTRAN formatter in general.

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Koning [mailto:paulkon...@comcast.net]
Sent: Friday, February 2, 2018 2:39 PM
To: Lars Brinkhoff <l...@nocrew.org>
Cc: Ken Cornetet <ken.corne...@kimballelectronics.com>; simh@trailing-edge.com
Subject: Re: [Simh] Crowther's Adventure game

> On Feb 2, 2018, at 2:26 PM, Lars Brinkhoff <l...@nocrew.org> wrote:
>
> Ken Cornetet wrote:
>> Also, given the FORMAT(/), I’ll also hazard a guess that TYPE did not
>> automatically add a new line on whatever was printed. But that is
>> just a guess.
>
> I think your guess is correct.

I'm not so sure.  It may be a case of ensuring the carriage is at the left
margin -- remember that Fortran carriage control would insert a line feed at
the start of the record (if the record carriage control character is a space)
but not a carriage return; that happens at end of record.  So if some previous
operation left the carriage at some other spot on the page, you'd end up with
weird looking output.  The / supplies <lf><cr> to ensure all is clean.

        paul