Bob,

Fortran—especially of that era—is a simple language.  It wasn't clear to me
what the end goal was of the conversation.  Starting with old DEC-10 code and
trying to get it to run on Linux?  Anyway, none of the Fortran code that was
posted here was difficult at all to understand.  Of course, I know it from
being proficient in Fortran for decades.  But, a slight but of Google'ing would
have easily solved any porting problems.  File formats being exchanged across
different platforms is another issue.  And, language independent.  I'm sure you
know that RMS file formats are far richer and expressive of their content than
a non-descriptive stream of bytes.  Oh, except for the magic 16-bits at the
front of something executable.  Or the suffix that help you infer the
semantics.  A file system with limited metadata forces such hacks.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608
ba...@usgs.gov