SimH's intended purpose was to run historical software in furtherance of computer education. It was not intended as a perfectly accurate emulation of every detail of every architecture. There are compromises in the design to simplify implementation.

One of those, dating back to its progenitor, MIMIC, is the use of PMS (processor-memory-switch) notation, which simplifies IO into controller and units. It doesn't really support the notion of nested controllers, which is what the Massbus actually requires: a Massbus controller (RH) connected up to a maximum of eight subcontrollers (for an RP06, the DCL), which is turn connected to one (or for tapes, more than one) unit.

Originally, the Massbus devices were modeled as a controller and units (the KS10 simulator still does that). That proved unsatisfactory, because it required extensive code duplication between the VAX and the PDP11, and between Massbus disks and Massbus tapes. So a while back, the RH controllers were split out, and a system-specific hack put in place to associate the "independent" RP controller with a Massbus channel. The RP controller was not restructured as eight independent controllers with one unit each. It remained a quasi-standard disk device, with one controller and eight units. As a result, the RP can only be associated with a single Massbus channel.

The software changes to get "accuracy" are fairly intrusive.

1. Change the RP to be 'n' separate controllers of one unit each.
2. Change the RH controller to allow a different device for each device ID.
3. Allow each separated controller to be assigned to a MB channel independently, based on device ID.

Enforcing configuration restrictions (for example, no mixing of disks and tapes on the same channel) is yet more work.

A simpler hack would be to replicate the RP controller, allowing for up to 16 drives in two strings. Each string could be associated with a different MB channel. The 'generalization' of a controller to support multiple instances is shown in the MSCP disks and in the RH controller itself.

/Bob