Same issue on my desktop.

I have used this very same process on older versions with my desktop
running an AMD FX processor, linux mint 18, and it has worked.

I went to the trailing edge page and went to the software kits section and
downloaded the 2 RSTS images.

I have looked in my archived copies if the kit, and the file sizes for the
disk images in my archived copy match the newly downloaded one.

an older copy of the pdp11 executable on my system mounts the image fine:

PDP-11 simulator V4.0-0 Beta        git commit id: 9d2079df
sim> set cpu 1m
Disabling RK
Disabling HK
Disabling TM
sim> at rl0 rsts_full_rl.dsk
sim>

But the current build does not (same image file):

PDP-11 simulator V4.0-0 Current        git commit id: c1894a7d
sim> set cpu 1m
Disabling RK
Disabling HK
Disabling TM
sim> at rl0 rsts_full_rl.dsk
RL0: non expandable disk rsts_full_rl.dsk is smaller than simulated device
(2617KW < 2621KW)
File open error
sim>

this image I am using (rsts_full_rl.dsk) is newly downloaded from the kits
page on the
trailing edge site.