Hello Mark , ...

On Wed, 23 May 2018, Mark Pizzolato wrote:
On Wednesday, May 23, 2018 at 4:20 PM, James W. Laferriere wrote:
        Hello All ,  I am noticing a VERY High cpu with JUST simh running and it
does not reduce over time .  Any ideas ?  Hopefully everything needed is below
.
...snip...

Hi James,

Hmmm...

First, please try the lastest GitHub code.
        Done ...

Second, I see you've built the simulator with video support, but you're not
using any Video device in your configuration.  Additionally, I see that you're
working with the older SDL version 1 video.  SDL version 1 was needed when
video capabilities were first added to simh, but at this point libSDL Version 2
is available on essentially all interesting host platforms, so libSDL1 is
deprecated and some changes coming in the near future will remove any attempt
to support it.
Try installing the libSDL Version 2 development package and rebuilding the
simulator.
I have downloaded and compliled up SDL2-2.0.8 , Tho not installed it for the above and below test . But it will be soonest .

Third, unless you're preparing to dig deeply under the covers, you probably
want to run the optimized vs debug build of the simulator.
Done . The High CPU usage is now gone . Though the never returning to command line prompt on 'exit' is still an issue . I have to issue a ctrl-Z and then 'kill -HUP %1' to have the process stop . Also fmi is there a way to get simh to flush output to the logfiles when it gets into such a state ? Some signal or tool ?

Let us know where this takes you.
- Mark

                Tia ,  JimL