On 2019-04-07 01:14, Matt Burke wrote:
On 06/04/2019 23:50, Timothy Stark wrote:
Does simh use threads to handle MP processors?  I have other SIMH versions
(vaxmp and turbovax) that uses threads to take advantage of CPU cores.

I looked through your 782 code and did not see any threads handle that vaxmp
and turbovax uses.

For the VAX 8300/8350 I just run both processors in the same thread and
alternate between them on each instruction cycle. Things get a lot more
complicated when threads are involved because you have to think about
locking and synchronisation.

The VAX-11/782 is quite different as you actually run two separate
copies of the VAX-11/780 simulator and they communicate with each other
using a shared memory interconnect (simulated by shared memory on the
host operating system). One VAX-11/780 runs as the master and this is
the one that you interact with. It has access to all the I/O devices
such as disks/tapes. The other VAX-11/780 is non-interactive and can
only process workloads which are handed over from the master. This is
asymmetric multiprocessing.

Unless you also have some synchronization mechanisms in there, this might not actually work right, but it can take time for issues to show up. Some VAX instructions can be rather complex, and are guaranteed to be atomic to memory. I believe that holds true also on the 11/782, which means that instructions like the interlocked queue instructions will not naturally be interlocked if you just have two threads with shared memory for a simulation. And so, you run the risk that if both CPUs would want to modify the same data interlocked, the simulation will actually end up corrupting memory. But this is probably a rare occurrence, so chances are that you have gotten away with it, even if you don't do proper interlocking.

  Johnny

email: b...@softjar.se             ||  Reading murder books