VAX-11/730 with a PDP-8 FEP would have been a rather odd creature.

But VMS V2.4 sounds plausible for 1978. V3 or V4 feels like they should have been later.

The VAX-11/782 was actually a multiprocessor VAX-11/780. Shared memory, but it was ASMP. Simh cannot emulate that one. However, you'll get mostly the same feeling with just a VAX-11/780 instead.

There are no license manager for such old versions of VMS, so they will run no matter if you have PAKs or not.

The FORTRAN compiler was, I would guess, FORTRAN-IV-PLUS. Which was a DEC variant. Essentially FORTRAN-IV on stereoids. Lots of things that was in there eventually turned up in FORTRAN-77 as well.

And yes, I think most people agree it is "Vaxen".

  Johnny

On 2020-03-23 01:20, Dan Gahlinger wrote:
I believe it was a Vax 730 with a PDP-8 FEP, inside the main chassis it actually had a part labelled (in big letters) "FUBAR" 🙂

If I remember correctly, it ran VMS v2.4

The Vax I have the most memories of though, which I'd also like to simulate,
was a Vax 782 (two 780s clustered I believe), and I'm not entirely sure of the VMS version, could be v3.2 or v4.2

People here would know which version was most likely in (guessing mid) 1978 in North America (Ontario/Canada at Western University (UWO)).
I have lots of printouts, but I'm not sure I ever captured the version.

Of course, I'll need the VMS images (which I may have) and the PAKs for these versions...

For sentimental/nostalgic purposes...

I remember Fortran on the 782 was kinda wonky at the time, it didn't seem to be able to make up its mind whether it was Fortran/IV or Fortran-77 🙂

Note: someone decades ago told me the plural for Vax was "Vaxen", and it just stuck...

Dan.

email: b...@softjar.se             ||  Reading murder books