I am pretty sure this is do-able but just could not find quite the
right incantation in the posts and examples.  I'd like to have
multiple bands in my Exhibit Timeline, all driven by the same JSON
datafile.  So far, so good.  What I can't seem to get right is how to
have each band driven by a differently filtered subset of the JSON
file.  The example at:
http://people.csail.mit.edu/dfhuynh/projects/timeline-exhibit/timeline-exhibit2.html
is very close but uses Google spreadsheets (and not JSON) as the
source.
I'm guessing I'd have to tweak this function:
        function constructFilteredEventSource(baseEventSource,
database, propertyID, matchValue) {
            return new Timeline.FilteredEventSource(
                baseEventSource,
                function(evt) {
                    return database.getObject(evt.getID(), propertyID)
== matchValue;
                }
            );
        }