Thanks Michael.

I tried what you suggested, but I must be doing something wrong as it
isn't working.

I made my own version of the bubble images.  All I did was simply
negate the color scheme (to high contrast black, cf., the default high
contrast white).  I made no changes to geometry/size.

I copied and modified my own copies of the 2 css files you described
updating the paths for the images to point to my modified png files.

I updated the HTML in the head section to load the modified CSS files
after the timeline code has been loaded ....
<<<<
   <script src="http://static.simile.mit.edu/timeline/api-2.3.0/
timeline-api.js?bundle=true" type="text/javascript"></script>
    <!-- Redirect to my custom bubble graphics -->
   <link ref="stylesheet" href="mygraphics.css" type="text/css">
   <link ref="stylesheet" href="mygraphics-ie6.css" type="text/css">

Unfortunately it is behaving has if I'm made no changes at all.

You'll find the timeline here (if that helps):
http://tom.raresteeds.com/genealogy/timelines/MorrisseyElaine.tl.htm

Thanks for the assistance so far and any further insight you can
provide.