It's a hack, but you can use the ex:converter attribute in the link tags. This attribute lets you specify a javascript function that will be fed the data returned from your server. It is supposed to produce json that exhibit can understand. So, your server can deliver json that includes the metadata you want for your page; the converter can strip out that extra data (and use it to modify the page) and give just the exhibit part of the data as a return value.

http://www.simile-widgets.org/wiki/How_to_make_an_exhibit_from_any_JSONP_data_source