I really liked the Timemap project, and like I said, had a great
conversation with one of their developers yesterday. I've not nothing
but good things to say about them and that project. It was just
unfortunate that it didn't fit my particular needs. But seeing it at
all is what led me to Simile, so that I could create something
similar. I'd need to replace their abstraction layer for my project,
and rewriting that didn't seem like it'd have been a proper move. The
project I'm on is essentially a google maps wizard and it does a bit
of everything. From importing CSV or KML files, to selecting options
like clustering, sortable data tables, and filtering by category. And
finally when I'm done, I have a deployment function for which ever
server I want to send it to. I wanted to create a solution for maps
that can allow me to kick them out incredibly fast and as painlessly
as possible.

With that said, the timeline idea was one of the later features to the
game. In this wizard, I already had a lot of code based on interacting
the map, and I didn't want something that loaded the map into it,
because I may want to be able to toggle this feature on and off.

Thanks for the help though with the min and max visible dates function
though. I found those yesterday, and that is enabling me to do
everything exactly the way I need to now.