The idea of a 'track' in Timeline is an abstract one - there is no DOM element
representing a track, so there is no individual track background to color or
style. Also, remember that Timeline's default painting strategy is to put
things on different tracks to avoid overlapping labels/icons/bars. If your
events/labels get too close, the painter might need an extra track to avoid
overlapping.

One approach that might work would be to use custom background styles for your
bands. If you are running on modern browsers, you can easily add gradient
styles to a band <div> that exactly matches the height of your track sets.

Another approach would be to write a custom painter that does the grouping as
you suggest, though this would involve a fair bit of javascript to implement.

I've solved this requirement by using multiple bands, one for each category of
event I need to display. Each band can use as many tracks as it needs to
display its member events.  I define a filter function for each band that only
adds those events that belong to that band into the band's EventSource.

--Mike