for future reference you might want to peek at the X-UA-Compatible tag:
http://ajaxian.com/archives/ie8-compatibility-with-x-ua-compatible

On 2/20/2012 1:35 PM, martin wrote:
Hi David,
Thanks for looking into this, I have tried to force standard mode with
but IE still appears to fail so I used absolute urls and the icons
load on the map.
thanks again!