I think I am doing something like what you say now.  I have a view where I
show events for several people mixed together.  That is the composite view.
 However, I can "drill down" to just the details for one person.

I do that by making a separate UI that allows me to filter out the other
people.

However, I suspect you may mean that on the composite view you have
different representation of events that you can click on one event and
drill into a bunch of other events that are contained within that.  Again,
it would come down to you switching the events shown in the timeline.

Everything I have seen suggests you need to handle the UI mechanism you
want to "drill down" (click an event, use filter UI, etc.) with, then use
that to get the new data to show in the timeline, which you then recreate
with the new data.