OK, as promised, this bug has been fixed and the change pushed to s-w.org as described below.

On 8/22/2013 5:08 PM, David Karger wrote:
To encourage more bug reports I've tackled this one immediately.

I've tracked down the amusing reason for this bug: exhibit is checking for browser version and assuming the answer is a single digit, so in this case it concludes you are running IE version 1 and abandons efforts to create icons. Presumably David was hoping IE would be retired before it reached version 10.

Hopefully tonight I will push a fix into https://github.com/karger/exhibit which will quickly be pulled to https://github.com/simile-widgets/exhibit , at which point you should be able to use the new code at
http://api.simile-widgets.org/exhibit/HEAD/ or try it out at
http://www.simile-widgets.org/exhibit3/examples/other-versions/HEAD/billionaires/billionaires.html

-David