Hari Sekhon wrote:
> One example in which it can be safely done is if you are limiting your
> variable to the hostname for the log and you use keep_hostname(no) in
> syslog-ng or equivalent logserver software, which should guarantee it is
> a correct ip address or hostname (assuming your DNS isn't
> compromised/intercepted if using that to resolve the hostname - another
> potential threat).

The issue with this is that it is trivial to craft spoofed udp/514 packets.

> Otherwise, pretty much the entire rest of the log is vulnerable to
> tampering through manual network insertion of logs in to the logserver
> since it has to accept logs from the network being a logserver. Also,

Creating a more tamper-resistant logging environment may provide a
little more safety.  Enabling SSL based tunnels for syslog[1] or signing
all syslog messages[2] can help with this goal.

But that only protects from network attacks.  Malicious local users or
poorly written programs can still inject syslog messages via logger or
other local mechanisms.  Which brings us back to trying to solve the
problem by limiting what we do with the information we are provided or
sanitizing it (and possibly diminishing the usefulness of the original
information).

[1] SSL Encrypting Syslog via Stunnel: http://librenix.com/?inode=7126
[2] Signed syslog Messages:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-sign-23.txt