Conway Allen wrote:
> Risto, thanks - I either missed the all-important section first time round or
> failed to grasp its signicance - or both.
>
> So I now know how to create perl variables and how to manipulate perl objects
> from within SEC. Cool!
>
> As for the other matters I brought up.
>
> 1. Slippin' 'n' Slidin' with thresholds.
> I honestly think it would be a good idea if you could look into doing what I
> consider to be the right thing - making sure $0 corresponds to the 1st
> message of the multiple message event. But of course, if I only represent a
> minority opinion of 1, and if doing that made things a lot less efficient for
> everyone, I wouldn't like to be the one to blame, especially as I can get the
> behaviour I want by other means.

BTW, if you want to get a timestamp that would identify the detected
event precisely, you can take advantage of the %t variable. Although
this variable does not refer to the beginning of the correlation window
but rather to the current moment, you can use this in the action list --
since %<alnum> variables are evaluated when the action list is executed,
%t is conveniently set to the time moment when the threshold was finally
crossed. For example, if you are sending a mail message and have
included %t in the subject, the end user sees the timestamp of the final
problem detection.
br,
risto