hi Hari,
after reading your mail, my first impression is that it shouldn't (and
actually, couldn't) be something that is built into SEC. SEC output
actions are currently very generic ones and they are not restricted to
doing something with lines that the pattern matched (i.e., the value of
$0 only). Therefore, I would argue that the best place for any coloring
scheme is the output script that is invoked from SEC.
However, let me ask one question -- why are you having difficulties with
identifying the rule that produced the alert? You are not limited to
mailing the $0 value only, but you can also send any data you want from
SEC as an alert.
br,
risto