On Sat, 24 Oct 2009, Clayton Dukes wrote:

> I think the problem may be that sysread is limiting to 1024 because
> that is how the RFC defines a syslog message - it's not supposed to
> exceed that. Whatever system that's sending messages of 1600 bytes
> isn't following the rules of the protocol...shame on them?
>
> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3164.html (see section 4.1)

FYI there is a new syslog RFC http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc5424.html which
specifies that syslog daemons should accept 2k messages (see section 6.1)

now this was only published in march 2009, so it hasn't been out there
very long, and it does mandate some things that traditional syslog daemons
do not do (supporting TLS transport for example) so you can't take it as
'syslog now supports this', but instead that some syslog daemons support
this, and more are expected to in the future.

the main author of this is also the lead developer of rsyslog, so rsyslog
complies with this. I think (but have not checked) that syslog-ng also
complies with this.

David Lang