Andrew,

From an architectural point of view SEC correlates events and fires up actions
in response. If you need to modify something, it would be done with an external
tool anyway because SEC knows nothing about the world.

I think I am missing your point.

-- ek

From: Risto Vaarandi [mailto:risto.vaara...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2018 7:22 AM
To: Andrew Nieuwsma <anieuw...@cray.com>
Cc: Simple-evcorr-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Simple-evcorr-users] SEC use cases -> modifying the state of the
world

hi Andrew,
in his e-mail, John has already provided several scenarios for changing the
system state from SEC. One of the examples John has outlined involved changing
firewall rules and I've done that as well in the past. To provide more
examples, Markus Kont released his SEC attack detection rules few years ago
(https://github.com/markuskont/SagittariuSEC/) which also automate firewall
configuration.
I have also used SEC for automating tasks often done with cron, such as
downloading signature updates and restarting daemons. While these actions might
not be considered fundamental changes, they nevertheless alter the state of the
system.

As a side note, SEC Calendar rules have one interesting feature that
cron/crontab lack, and it is best explained with the following time
specification: 0 1 25-31 10 7
Crontab interprets this time specification as "1AM in October, provided that
the day of the month is 25..31 OR weekday is Sunday". In October 2017, that
would have meant 1AM on October 1, 8, 15, 22, and 25-31. However, SEC Calendar
rule considers the above specification as "1AM in October, provided that the
day of the month is 25..31 AND weekday is Sunday". Since conditions for day of
the month and weekday are now joined with logical AND, this essentially means
"1AM on last Sunday in October" (for example, 1AM on October 29 2017 or 1AM on
October 25 2009).
It is quite easy to see that implementing OR-like functionality is
straightforward with Calendar rules (for example, have two Calendar rules with
specifications  0 1 25-31 10 * and 0 1 * 10 7). On the other hand, with crontab
interpretation one can not implement AND-like functionality, and scripts
started by cron need additional checks for day/weekday. My apologies for the
lengthy sidenote :)

However, all system management tasks I have automated so far have had clear
execution paths, so it has been possible to write rules for handling all
execution scenarios. If that is not the case (for example, some execution
scenarios might require highly specific and unpredictable human interaction), I
would not use any automation, be it by SEC, cron or any other tool.

kind regards,
risto