Matt Mahoney wrote:
--- Eugen Leitl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 06:50:59PM -0700, Matt Mahoney wrote:

Of course it could be that a singularity has already happened, and what
you
perceive as the universe is actually a simulation within the resulting
superintelligence.
Is this a falsifyable theory?

Unfortunately, no.  You would have to prove that the universe is not
computable, for example, that your observations are a function of the halting
probability Omega or some other uncomputable number.  I don't know that that
would even be mathematically possible.

But everything we know about it suggests that the universe is computable.  For
one, the universe has finite entropy*.  For another, Occam's Razor seems to
work in practice, consistent with AIXI's assumption of a computable
environment (abductive reasoning, I know).  For a third, there is nothing
going on in the human brain that we believe is not computable, so it would be
impossible to distinguish reality from a simulation, and we are simply
programmed to reject such a possibility.

*The entropy of the universe is of the order T^2 c^5/hG ~ 10^122 bits, where T
is the age of the universe, c is the speed of light, h is Planck's constant
and G is the gravitational constant.  By coincidence (or not?), each bit would
occupy the volume of a proton.  (The physical constants do not depend on any
particle properties).

A small but crucial point: this is the entropy of everything within the horizon visible from *here*. What about the stuff (possibly infinite amounts of stuff) that lies beyond the curvature horizon?

Richard Loosemore