--- Nathan Cook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > What if the copy is not exact, but close enough to fool others who know
> > you?
> > Maybe you won't have a choice.  Suppose you die before we have developed
> > the
> > technology to scan neurons, so family members customize an AGI in your
> > likeness based on all of your writing, photos, and interviews with people
> > that
> > knew you.  All it takes is 10^9 bits of information about you to pass a
> > Turing
> > test.  As we move into the age of surveillance, this will get easier to
> > do.  I
> > bet Yahoo knows an awful lot about me from the thousands of emails I have
> > sent
> > through their servers.
>

> I can't tell if you're playing devil's advocate for monadic consciousness
> here, but in
> any case, I disagree with you that you can observe a given quantity of data
> of the
> sort accessible without a brain scan, and then reconstruct the brain from
> that. The
> thinking seems to be that, as the brain is an analogue device in which every
> part is
> connected via some chain to every other, everything in your brain slowly
> leaks out
> into the environment through your behaviour.

You can combine general knowledge for constructing an AGI with personal
knowledge to create a reasonable facsimile.  For example, given just my home
address, you could guess I speak English, make reasonable guesses about what
places I might have visited, and make up some plausible memories.  Even if
they are wrong, my copy wouldn't know the difference.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]