[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hello Richard,

If it's not too lengthy and unwieldy to answer, or give a general sense as to why yourself and various researchers think so...

Why is it that in the same e-mail you can make the statement so confidently that "ego" or sense of selfhood is not something that the naive observer should expect to just emerge naturally as a consequence of succedding in building an AGI (and the qualities of which, such as altruism, will have to be specifically designed in), while you just as confidently state that consciousness itself will merely arise 'for free' as an undesigned emergent gift of building an AGI?

I'm really curious about researcher's thinking on this and similar points. It seems to lay at the core of what is so socially controversial about singualrity-seeking in the first place.

Thanks,

~Robert S.

First, bear in mind that opinions are all over the map, so what I say here is one point of view, not everyone's.

First, about consciousness.

The full story is a long one, but I will try to cut to the part that is relevant to your question.

Consciousness itself, I believe, is something that arises because of certain aspects of how the mind represents the world, and how it uses those mechanisms to represent what is going on inside itself. There is not really one thing that is "consciousness", of course (people use that word to designate many different things), but the most elusive aspects are the result of strange things happening in these representation mechanisms.

The thing that actually gives rise to the thing we might call pure "subjective consciousness" (including qualia, etc) is a weirdness that happens when the system "bottoms out" during an attempt to unpack the meaning of things: normally, the mind can take any concept and ask itself "What *is* this thing?", and come up with a meaningful answer that involves more primitive concepts. Ask this of the concept [chair] and you might get a bunch of other concepts involving legs, a seat, a back, the act of human sitting, and so on. But when this same analysis mechanism is applied to certain concepts that are at the root of the mind's representation system, something peculiar happens: the system sets up a new temporary concept (a placeholder) ready to take the answer, but then it fails to actually attach anything to it. So when it asks itself "What is the essence of redness?" the answer is that it is "....", and nothing happens. Or rather something *more* than nothing happens, because the placeholder concept is set up, and then nothing is attached to it. The mind thinks "There is *something* it is like to be the essence of redness, but it is mysterious and indescribable".

Now, you might want to quickly jump to the conclusion that what I am saying here is that "consciousness" is an artifact of the way minds represent the world.

This is a very important point: I am not aligning myself with those who dismiss consciousness as just an artifact (or an epiphenomenon). In a sense, what I have said above does look like a dismissal of consciousness, but there is a second step in the argument.

In this second step I point out that if you look deeply into what this mechanism does, and the question of how the mind assesses what is "real" or what things actually exist and can be analyzed or talked about meaningfully, you are forced to the conclusion that our best possible ideas about which things in the world "really exist" and which things are merely artifacts of our minds, it turns out that most of the time you can make a good separation, but there is one specific area where it will always be impossible to make a separation. In this one unique area - namely, the thing we call "consciousness" - we will always be forced to say that, scientifically, we have to accept that there is the thing we call consciousness is as real as anything else in the world, but unlike all other real things, it cannot be analyzed further. This is not an expression of "we don't know how to analyze this yet, but maybe in the future we will...." it is a clear statement that consciousness is just as real as anything else in the world, but it must necessarily be impossible to analyze.

Now, going back to your question, this means that if we put the same kinds of mechanisms into a thinking machine as we have in our minds, then it will have "consciousness" just as we do, and it will experience the same feeling of mystery about it. We will never be able to objectively verify that consciousness is there (just as we cannot do this for each other, as humans) but we will be able to say precisely why we would expect the system to report its experience, and (most importantly) we will be able to give solid reasons for why we cannot analyze the nature of consciousness any further.

But would those mechanisms be present in a machine? This is fairly easy to answer: if the machine were able to understand the world as well as us, then it is pretty much inevitable that the same class of mechanisms will be there. It is not really the exact mechanisms themselves that cause the problem, it is a fundamental issue to do with representations, and any sufficiently powerful representation system will have to show this effect. No way around it.

So that is the answer to why I can say that consciousness will emerge "for free". We will not deliberately put it in, it will just come along if we make the system able to fully understand the world (and we are assuming, in this discussion, that the system is able to do that).

(I described this entire theory of consciousness in a poster that I presented at the Tucson conference two years ago, but still have not had time to write it up completely. For what it is worth, I got David Chalmers to stand in front of the poster and debate the argument with me for a short while, and his verdict was that it was an original line of argument.)

The second part of your question was why the "ego" or "self" will, on the other hand, not be something that just emerges for free.

I was speaking a little loosely here, because there are many meanings for "ego" and "self", and I was just zeroing in on one aspect that was relevant to the original question asked by someone else. What I am menaing here is the stuff that determines how the system behaves, the things that drive it to do things, its agenda, desires, motivations, character, and so on. (The important question is whether it could be trusted to be benign).

Here, it is important to understand that the mind really consists of two separate parts: the "thinking part" and the motivation/emotional system. We know this from our own experience, if we think about it enough: we talk about being "overcome by emotion" or "consumed by anger", etc. If you go around collecting expressions like this, you will notice that people frequently talk about these strong emotions and motivations as if they were caused by a separate module inside themselves. This appears to be a good intuition: they are indeed (as far as we can tell) the result of something distinct.

So, for example, if you built a system capable of doing lots of thinking about the world, it would just randomly muse about things in a disjointed (and perhaps autic) way, never guiding itself to do anythig in particular.

To make a system do something organized, you would have to give it goals and motivations. These would have to be designed: you could not build a "thinking part" and then leave it to come up with motivations of its own. This is a common science fiction error: it is always assumed that the thinking part would develop its own mitivations. Not so: it has to have some motivations built into it. What happens when we imagine science fiction robots is that we automatically insert the same motivation set as is found in human beings, without realising that this is a choice, not something that comes as part and parcel, along with pure intelligence.

The $64,000 question then becomes what *kind* of motivations we give it.

I have discussed that before, and it does not directly bear on your question, so I'll stop here. Okay, I'll stop after this paragraph ;-). I believe that we will eventually have to getting very sophisticated about how we design the motivational/emotional system (because this is a very primitive aspect of AI at the moment), and that when we do, we will realise that it is going to be very much easier to build a simple and benign motivational system than to build a malevolent one (because the latter will be unstable), and as a result of this the first AGI systems will be benevolent. After that, the first systems will supply all the other systems, and ensure (peacefully, and with grace) that no systems are built that have malevolent motivations. Because of this, I believe that we will quickly get onto an "upward spiral" toward a state in which int is impossible for these systems to become anything other than benevolent. This is extremely counterintuitive, of course, but only because 100% of our experience in this world has been with intelligent systems that have a particular (and particularly violent) set of motivations. We need to explore this question in depth, because it is fantastically important for the viability of the singularity idea. Alas, at the moment there is no sign of rational discussion of this issue, because as soon as the idea is mentioned, people come rusing forward with nightmare scenarios, and appeal to people's gut instincts and raw fears. (And worst of all, the Singualrity Institute for Artificial Intelligence (SIAI) is dominated by people who have invested their egos in a view of the world in which the only way to guarantee the safety of AI systems is through their own mathematical proofs.)

Hope that helps, but please ask questions if it does not.

Richard Loosemore.