--- Charles D Hixson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Simulation is a new word.  In this context, let's use an old word.
> Maya.  Have the Buddhist countries and societies gone away?
> And let's use an old word for "reality".  Heaven.  Have the Christian
> countries and societies gone away?
>
> Perhaps you need to rethink your suppositions.

There is a difference between believing logically that the universe is
simulated, and acting on those beliefs.  The latter is not possible because of
the way our brains are programmed.  If you really believed that pain was not
real, you would not try to avoid it.  You can't do that.  I can accept that a
simulation is the best explanation for why the universe exists, but that
doesn't change how I interact with it.  I accept that my brain is programmed
so that certain conflicting beliefs cannot be resolved, so I don't try.

Too strong a belief in heaven is not healthy.  It is what motivates kamikaze
pilots and suicide bombers.  Religion has thrived because it teaches rules
that maximize reproduction, such as prohibiting sexual activity for any other
purpose.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]