Jean-Paul,

More or less yes to your points. (I was only tossing off something quickly). Actually I think there's a common core to 2)-7) and will be setting out something about that soon. But I don't think it's recognizing patterns - on the contrary, the common problem is partly that there ISN'T a pattern to be recognized. If you have to understand the metaphor, the "dancing towers," there's no common pattern between human dancers and the skyscrapers referred to.

I also think that while there's a common core, each problem has its own complications. Maybe Hawkins is right that all the senses process inputs in basically the same hierarchical fashion - and any mechanical AGI's senses will have to do the same - but if you think about it, the senses evolved gradually, so there must be different reasons for that.

(And I would add another unsolved (& unrecognized) problem for AGI:

9)Common Sense Processing - being able to process an event in multiple sensory modalities, and switch between them to solve problems - for example, to be able to touch an object blindfolded, and then draw its outlines visually. )

Jean-Paul: Your "1" consists of two separate challenges: (1) reasoning & (2) learning IMHO your 3 to 6 can be classified under (3) pattern recognition. I think perhaps even your 2 may flow out of pattern recognition. Of course, the real challenge is to find an algorithmic way (or architecture) to do the above without bumping into exponential explosion.e. move the problem out of the NP-complete arena. (Else an AGI will never exceed human intelligence by a real margin.)

"Mike Tintner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Your comments are irresponsible.  Many problems of AGI have been solved.
If you disagree with that, specify exactly what you mean by a "problem of
AGI", and let us list them.
1.General Problem Solving and Learning (independently learning/solving
problem in, a new domain)

2.Conceptualisation [Invariant Representation] - forming concept of Madonna
which can embrace rich variety of different faces/photos of her

3.Visual Object Recognition

4.Aural "Object" Recognition [dunno proper term here - being able to
recognize same melody played in any form]

5.Analogy

6.Metaphor

7.Creativity

8.Narrative Visualisation - being able to imagine and create a visual
scenario ( a movie)   [just made this problem up - but it's a good one]