From: Paul Kyzivat [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2005 7:10 PM
To: Chauhan Bhavik-A20762
Cc: sip@ietf.org; sip-implementors@cs.columbia.edu
Subject: Re: [Sip-implementors] UPDATE with ANSWER?

We really need to create an FAQ about this.

A long time ago, probably in the thread you cite, we debated this
extensively. It is true that the RFCs are not entirely clear on this,
and reasonable people can differ in interpretation of them. But we
finally came to some agreement on it.

I am quite sure we agreed that UPDATE could *not* be used to send an
answer. We ended up with a quite restrictive list of cases for how
INVITE, UPDATE, PRACK, and their responses and ACK can be used to convey
offer/answer.

I was one who originally argued for fewer restrictions. But there were
issues with that, and the restrictive approach won out. In practice I
don't think the restrictions impose any great burden.

        Paul