Dale,

at end...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>    From: "Attila Sipos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>    >   What if you are using something like DNS SRV to route to a
>    >   group of gateways?  How can one ensure all new requests go the
>    >   same gateway?
>    >
>    >Why would you want to?
>
>    Maybe I wasn't clear.
>
>    I want all the overlapped dialling related to single call to all go
>    to the same gateway.  This is what RFC3578 requires anyway but it
>    does this by saying you can only use overlap dialling in the way
>    described if "the SIP routing infrastructure ensures that INVITEs
>    will only reach one gateway."
>
>    What if you have a pool of PSTM gateways?  For example, you have 1
>    gateway at first but you need more capcity.
>
> Yes, I see that's what RFC 3578 says.  But it's clear if you think
> about it that the real requirement is "All INVITEs reach one of a set
> of gateways/proxies that all have the same policy in regard to which
> URIs will receive 484 responses."
>
> And in any situation that makes sense from an engineering point of
> view, that latter condition will be true without additional effort in
> regard to 484 responses.
>
> So it doesn't seem that you will ever need to expend additional effort
> to get 484s to work correctly.

Its worse than that. The GW may have opened up a pstn connection based
on the partial number, and received info back which results in the 484.
The retry with more digits needs to reach the gw that still has that state.

Somebody with some actual understanding of the PSTN will have to
elaborate further.